Effectiveness of orally administered probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri in patients with peri-implant mucositis: a prospective clinical study
Aim The aim of the present prospective clinical study was to evaluate the effectiveness of orally administered probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri in the treatment of peri-implant mucositis.
Materials and methods Eighty patients showing peri-implant mucositis were enrolled and assigned to two different treatment groups. In the test group subjects were instructed to take one probiotic lozenge daily for 30 days. In the control group, patients received placebo. Periodontal indices including plaque index (PI), bleeding on probing (BOP), and probing depth (PD) were clinically recorded around natural teeth and implants at baseline and after a period of 1 month and 3 months.
Results After 3-month evaluation in the test group the differences of plaque and bleeding indices remained statistically significantly lower compared to baseline at both teeth and implants. Contrariwise, no statistically significant differences of PI and BOP were observed in the control group. The intergroup comparison at 3 months yielded statistically significantly lower values for all periodontal parameters around teeth when the probiotic was used. Conversely, no statistically significant differences in periodontal parameters were observed between test and control groups at 3 months around implants.
Conclusions Probiotic intake was effective in reducing PI, BOP, and PD scores around natural teeth and dental implants affected by peri-mucositis, in particular around natural teeth at 3 months.
2. Renvert S, Persson GR, Pirih FQ, Camargo PM. Peri-implant health, peri-implant mucositis, and peri-implantitis: Case definitions and diagnostic considerations. J Clin Periodontol 2018;45 Suppl 20:S278-s85.
3. Salvi GE, Aglietta M, Eick S, et al. Reversibility of experimental peri-implant mucositis compared with experimental gingivitis in humans. Clin Oral Implants Res 2012;23:182-90.
4. Pontoriero R, Tonelli MP, Carnevale G, et al. Experimentally induced peri-implant mucositis. A clinical study in humans. Clin Oral Implants Res 1994;5:254-9.
5. Heitz-Mayfield LJA, Salvi GE. Peri-implant mucositis. J Periodontol 2018;89 Suppl 1:S257-s66.
6. Poli PP, Cicciu M, Beretta M, Maiorana C. Peri-Implant Mucositis and Peri-Implantitis: A Current Understanding of Their Diagnosis, Clinical Implications, and a Report of Treatment Using a Combined Therapy Approach. J Oral Implantol 2017;43:45-50.
7. Renvert S, Polyzois I. Treatment of pathologic peri-implant pockets. Periodontol 2000 2018;76:180-90.
8. Flichy-Fernandez AJ, Ata-Ali J, Alegre-Domingo T, et al. The effect of orally administered probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri-containing tablets in peri-implant mucositis: a double-blind randomized controlled trial. J Periodontal Res 2015;50:775-85.
9. Reid G. The importance of guidelines in the development and application of probiotics. Curr Pharm Des 2005;11:11-6.
10. Piwat S, Sophatha B, Teanpaisan R. An assessment of adhesion, aggregation and surface charges of Lactobacillus strains derived from the human oral cavity. Lett Appl Microbiol 2015;61:98-105.
11. Seminario-Amez M, Lopez-Lopez J, Estrugo-Devesa A, et al. Probiotics and oral health: A systematic review. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2017;22:e282-e88.
12. Galofre M, Palao D, Vicario M, et al. Clinical and microbiological evaluation of the effect of Lactobacillus reuteri in the treatment of mucositis and peri-implantitis: A triple-blind randomized clinical trial. J Periodontal Res 2018;53:378-90.
13. Hallstrom H, Lindgren S, Widen C, et al. Probiotic supplements and debridement of peri-implant mucositis: a randomized controlled trial. Acta Odontol Scand 2016;74:60-6.
14. Pena M, Barallat L, Vilarrasa J, et al. Evaluation of the effect of probiotics in the treatment of peri-implant mucositis: a triple-blind randomized clinical trial. Clin Oral Investig 2018.
15. Tada H, Masaki C, Tsuka S, et al. The effects of Lactobacillus reuteri probiotics combined with azithromycin on peri-implantitis: A randomized placebo-controlled study. J Prosthodont Res 2018;62:89-96.
16. Mongardini C, Pilloni A, Farina R, et al. Adjunctive efficacy of probiotics in the treatment of experimental peri-implant mucositis with mechanical and photodynamic therapy: a randomized, cross-over clinical trial. J Clin Periodontol 2017;44:410-17.
17. Ainamo J, Bay I. Problems and proposals for recording gingivitis and plaque. Int Dent J 1975;25:229-35.
18. O'Leary TJ, Drake RB, Naylor JE. The plaque control record. J Periodontol 1972;43:38.
19. Vivekananda MR, Vandana KL, Bhat KG. Effect of the probiotic Lactobacilli reuteri (Prodentis) in the management of periodontal disease: a preliminary randomized clinical trial. J Oral Microbiol 2010;2:5344.
20. Szkaradkiewicz AK, Stopa J, Karpinski TM. Effect of oral administration involving a probiotic strain of Lactobacillus reuteri on pro-inflammatory cytokine response in patients with chronic periodontitis. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz) 2014;62:495-500.
- Abstract views: 27
- pdf: 20
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.